Moving out of the San Diego Housing Commission’s (SDHC) jurisdiction, which is the City of San Diego, with Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance is known as “porting out.”
Households that SDHC identifies as able to work (Work-Able) may only move with their rental assistance to an area outside of SDHC’s jurisdiction if they request and receive an exception, such as:
- Employment opportunities;
- Post-secondary education;
- Safety reasons;
- A medical/disability need; or
- Other exceptions determined on a case-by-case basis.
Effective July 1, 2024:
A household is Work-Able if at least one adult is under 62, not disabled, and not a full-time student ages 18-23.
This policy will not affect Elderly/Disabled households, in which all adult family members are disabled, 62 years or older, and/or a fulltime student ages 18 to 23.
There will be no change to households currently established as “elderly”, with members aged 55 to 61 years old. These families will keep the elderly/disabled distinction and be grandfathered into the new policy.
To qualify to move with your voucher, either within the City of San Diego, or outside of SDHC’s jurisdiction:
- You must have been a rental assistance participant for at least 12 months
- You cannot have moved within that 12-month period
- You must not be in violation of any program rules
- You must not have any outstanding payments owed to SDHC
For a printable version of the following Step-by-Step Guide, CLICK HERE